Social Media/ Discussion Groups
RGM&HS Facebook group was started by the society and is open to anyone for all topics D&RGW, including current operations over former Rio Grande territory. This Facebook group currently has over 1,600 members and is quite actively on a daily basis
The society also supports conversation on two groups on Groups.io (formerly hosted on Yahoo groups) The two groups of note around the Rio Grande to be aware of:
- DRGW Group - This is the group (list) that has the [DRGW] as its prefix and was started by the society and is OPEN to anyone for all topics D&RGW, including current operations over former Rio Grande territory. With over 1,400 subscribers this list is the "Unofficial Group" of the society jointly moderated by the RGMHS webmaster and two non-members of the society.
- RGMHS Group - Is group (list) is used for Society announcements, questions, comments, etc. As the Society's "Official Group" its intended for RGM&HS paid members only. As a current RGM&HS member will be invited to subscribe to the group. This is the group that has the [RGMHS] as its prefix.
Denver & Rio Grande Western and Related Sites
- Jim Griffin's Rio Grande Site
- Slim Jim's Utah Rail Page maintained by his daughter since his passing in 2007
- Kevin Morgan's Coloradorailfan.com
- Roland Levin's Rio Grande Site
- Mark Evans Narrow Gauge Circle
- Chuck Donaldson's Somewhere West of Denver
- George Elwood's RR-Fallen Flags site
- The California Zephyr Virtual Museum
- Colorado Railroad Museum Golden, Colorado
- Western Mining & Railroad Museum Helper, Utah
- Age of Steam Railroad Museum, Dallas, Texas
- Golden Gate Railroad Museum San Francisco Bay Area
- Illinois Railway Museum
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- Central Pacific Railroad Photographic History Museum - Stereo views, engravings, maps, and documents illustrating the history of the first transcontinental railroad
- Missouri Pacific Historical Society
- Burlington Route Historical Society
- Western Pacific Railroad Museum Operated by the Feather River Rail Society, in Portola, California
- Union Pacific Historical Society
- Galloping Goose Historical Society - Operates the Rio Grande Southern Railroad museum in Dolores, Colorado and maintains and operates Galloping Goose 5
Colorado Historic Railroad Attraction
Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad narrow-gauge heritage railroad that operates on 64 miles of track between Antonito, Colorado, and Chama, New Mexico. The railroad is named for two geographical features along the route: the 10,015-foot (3,053 m)-high Cumbres Pass and the Toltec Gorge. Originally part of the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad's narrow-gauge network, the line has been jointly owned by the states of Colorado and New Mexico since 1970.
Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad narrow-gauge heritage railroad that operates on 45.2 mi of track between Durango and Silverton, Colorado. The railway is a federally-designated National Historic Landmark and was also designated by the American Society of Civil Engineers as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1968. The route was originally opened in 1882 by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad (D&RGW) to transport silver and gold ore mined from the San Juan Mountains.
Cripple Creek and Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad is a 2 ft narrow-gauge heritage railroad that operates seasonal tourist trains between Cripple Creek and the city's outskirts to the south. The railroad uses a revitalized section of the original Midland Terminal Railway and the Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad. The railroad's one station and around half of its route is located within the Cripple Creek Historic District, a National Historic Landmark.
Manitou and Pike's Peak Railway is a cog railway that climbs one of the most iconic mountains in the United States, Pikes Peak in Colorado. The base station is in Manitou Springs, near Colorado Springs. Construction on the line was started in 1889 and the first train reached the summit on June 30, 1891. By the 2000s, the rail infrastructure was starting to show its age. Operations were suspended on 2017 to conduct maintenance on the railway, but soon realized more serious repairs were needed and in March 2018 the railway would close indefinitely. The full refurbishment of the line would cost $100 million. The major refurbishment project involve the near-complete replacement of the track infrastructure, the rebuild of facilities and older railcars and the purchase of three new trainsets. Starting in March 2019, crews ripped up the old rails. Work started in 2020, crews began working down from the top, laying down metal ties, new rails custom ordered from Poland. the city of Colorado Springs built a new visitor center at the summit. in Manitou Springs, the depot received a second boarding track and platform. The line reopened on May 20, 2021.
Platte Valley Trolley (Denver Tramway Heritage Society)
Leadville, Colorado and Southern Railroad (The South Park)
Fort Collins Municipal Railway
Georgetown Loop Railroad Georgetown, Colorado
Other Sites of Interest
- East Broad Top Homepage
- The HOn3 Home Depot Home page of the HOn30 Mail Car. A mailing list, links, and lot's of HOn30 information.
- Rio Grande Southern
- Sumpter Valley Railway
Prototype Railroad Sites
- Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railroad
- Nor-Cal SP Connection A collection of fan photos of SP and DRGW locomotives
- Norfolk Southern
- SOO Line Historical & Technical Society Covers SOO, and all predecessors in it's family. Also has news and information on today's Wisconsin Central, LTD.
- St. Louis Iron Mountain & Southern Railway
- Montana Rail Link
- Union Pacific Railroad