Burnham Engineering Map (BUR03)
Rio Grande’s famed Burnham shops was “home” shop, the epicenter of the three-state D&RGW system that once included both standard and narrow gauge steam locomotives. The area was named after George Burnham, a principle in the Baldwin Locomotive Works. Starting as a small facility in the late 1870s, Burnham grew into a massive locomotive and car shop complex. Workers at Burnham built, repaired, and maintained all types of equipment at the shops.
For instance, Burnham rebuilt standard gauge 2-8-0s into narrow gauge K-37 class 2-8-2s in the late 1920s. The largest steam locomotives on the railroad, Alco 2-8-8-2s, called the shops home. The Burnham car shops also helped keep the famous Ski Train in top shape and built cabooses. Some older shop buildings were constructed in the 1880s, but what became the diesel shop was built in the early 20th century. In 1988, when Rio Grande bought Southern Pacific, the new SP spent $15 million overhauling the facility. It transferred work and employees from its old heavy rebuild shop in Sacramento to the rebuilt 146,000-square-foot Burnham Shops in February 1992.
The BUR03 map itself which was revised in 1953 shows the complete shop complex including the roundhouse, locomotive and erecting machine shop along with various repairs shops like the Burnham (BUR01) map, but this map specifically show the fire hydrant locations in the complex and also has an insert showing city of Denver hydrant locations in the near-by streets.
Map Print & Order Information
The map will be printed on architectural grade paper with a wide-bed laser printer. Physical size of this map is 62″ x 12″. Keep in mind the details on the map when printed will likely be proportionally smaller and may be more difficult to read.
All map orders are printed on-demand once your order has been received by the Society and processed by our large format printing partner. For that reason please allow up to 4 weeks for delivery.
There are no reviews yet.